Had my second weekend to work on January’s #1GAM effort, and managed to sit down today to implement some more of the game mechanics I’ve got planned. Along with the energy use/charging station system I set up last week, I’ve now added a mining laser (using Unity’s ‘Line Renderer’) that can collide with the game world (using a ‘Raycast’). Along with some shiny mineral deposits, you can now use this laser to mine for resources, shrinking the deposit as you go.
I’ve also done some work to make sure the controls work well on both a keyboard and gamepad, which was one of those massive headaches that I now know to deal with early on! Finally, I messed around with lighting and render settings to make everything a little more visually interesting.
Next week I hope to add our antagonists, the mutants and miscreants that will roam the plains and try to chase you down, along with upgrades/parts that you can spend accumulated resources on. That will mean all of the mechanics will be implemented, meaning I can spend my last weekend on environment and polish. Sweetness!